Overindulging at Christmas is something that I guess 90% of us worry about.
It’s so easy to just have one more Miniature Hero or an extra serving of veggies on Christmas Day because ‘Christmas only happens once a year’.
So how do you stay healthy and on track?The answer is simple really, think smart and live in balance.
I know that during Christmas I will still be keeping active because not only am I continuing my marathon training, but my gym is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year – so having the odd extra chocolate isn’t going to hurt me.If you can’t get to the gym or are too busy, have a sit down and plan out your Christmas celebrations and how you’re going to find balance.
Here are my top tips for achieving balance when you have a hectic family Christmas planned:
1. Sit down with you diary and plan your Christmas plans, travel time and any other engagements you have so you can see what ‘free time’ you have available.
2. Work out what type of workout you can fit in your free time. It doesn’t matter what you do as long as you do something – HITT, Run, Weightlifting, Pilates – you name it, you can do it.
3. Get up earlier!! Working out in the morning is great when you’re rushed off your feet.
4. Use a smaller plate. You’ve heard this one before but why not dish up your Christmas dinner on a smaller plate? This way you can control your portion size without consciously thinking about it.
5. Drink a glass of water before eating or snacking to fill yourself up.
6. Walk to all your engagements. Forget the car, if you can walk to your Mums, Dads or whatever then do it!
7. Enjoy yourself! Lets face it, this is what you should be really worrying about and if you worry or restrict yourself too much then you’re less likely to enjoy yourself!