When I was younger everyone used to ask me “Emily, what do you want to be when you grow up?” and of course (like everyone at that age) every time I gave a different answer because I never really knew what I wanted do for a living. Since becoming and adult (I use that term loosely) the only person who cares what my purpose is, is me. Life gets in the way, we settle down in a 9-5 job and boom – the next time we sit down to think about our lives, we are retired with grandchildren.
I started meditating to manage my mental health, then it became part of my routine and now I look forward to taking time out of my day to be mindful.
So why am I sharing this with you? Because ladies and gentlemen I’ve finally found out what my purpose is.
It didn’t come as an epiphany like some would have you believe; it came because I took the time to sit down and think about what I really want. Who is Emily and what makes her unique? Just by asking myself that one question I slowly managed to piece everything together.
- Why do I read so many books? Because I love to learn and better myself.
- What do people remember about me? That I talk so much (and I’m blunt).
- Why do I talk to so many people about random shit I have learnt?Because I like sharing knowledge.
- Why did I work so hard to get where I am today? Because I wanted to be the best version of me.
- Why do I write a blog? To share my life, knowledge, progress and tips with people.
- What did I love so much about being a Make-Up Artist? Making people feel beautiful and happy.
- What do I love about my job now? Helping people in tough situations.
- So what do I want to do with my life? Help people. Coach People. Share my badass message!
You may not know now what it is you’re good at or what you want to be, but when the time is right you will. I may not know right now how I am going to act on what I wish to do, but I trust that it will happen.
Take some time out for yourself, and practice self love and mindfulness and then tackle the world.